Sr. Elizabeth Schur, formerly Sister Marie Bernard, died on June 22, 2017 at Regina Health Center. Sister was born in Akron, Ohio on October 21, 1921 to Michael Schur and Elizabeth (Hoffman) Schur. Sister was baptized on November 6, 1921 at St. Bernard Church in Akron, Ohio. On February 2, 1946 she entered the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine; she pronounced final vows on August 28, 1951.
Sister began her ministry in the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine as an elementary teacher at St. Joseph School in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio where she taught from 1948 to 1952. She was then assigned to St. Luke School where she taught one year, 1952 to 1953. It was in 1953 that Sister Elizabeth began her long tenure as an art teacher at St. Augustine Academy in Lakewood, Ohio. It was here that she endeared herself to the young women who attended the Academy. Her talent as an artist developed and her beautiful works became a cherished part of her personal legacy.
Sister lived in Lakewood, Ohio and after her ministry at Saint Augustine Academy she worked in the activity department at Regina Health Center for five years followed by eleven years of assisting with the babies and small children at Holy Family Learning Center in Lakewood, Ohio.
Sister Elizabeth was a Sister of Charity of Saint Augustine for seventy-one years and was loved for her gentle spirit and generous heart.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her brother Bernard and her sister Helen. It was Sister’s joy when her sister Dorothy Gordon moved to Regina Health Center in 2013; the two sisters had many years to enjoy one another’s company. She will be missed by her sister Dorothy, her sister-in-law Carol Schur and her many nieces, nephews, and grand nieces and nephews.
Sr. Carole DeCrane, formerly Sister Anne Elizabeth, died on Thursday, March 9, 2017 at Mount Augustine/Regina Health Center. Sister was born in Cleveland, Ohio on November 4, 1940 to Francis DeCrane and Eleanor Lucille Warner and was baptized on November 24, 1940 at St. James Church in Lakewood, Ohio. She entered the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA) and pronounced final vows on August 22, 1966.
Sr. Carole graduated from St. John College in 1963 as a primary teacher and received her first assignment to St. Joseph School in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. At that time her friend, Sister Elizabeth Ann was the superior of the house and a real “mentor,” a living example to Sister. In 1965, Sister Carole moved from St. Joseph to Immaculate Heart of Mary School, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, where she ministered for six years as teacher and choir director. She also taught for a year at Holy Family School in Stow, Ohio.
In the mid-seventies, Pastoral Care Departm ents were established in the CSA hospitals and Sr. Carole felt a call to this ministry. After completing her chaplaincy program, she went on to serve as a chaplain at St. Vincent Charity Hospital for the next 14 years.
In 1993, Sr. Carole was elected to the administrative team of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and served in this capacity until 2001. During this time, Sr. Carole was the coordinator for the senior sisters at Mount Augustine. After her years in congregational administration, she was hired as a staff chaplain at St. John West Shore Hospital where she served until 2011. In Sr. Carole’s own words: “I have been blessed for these past 10 years in ministering with a wonderful, diverse group of people (staff and patients) who reflect the presence of God in all their own unique gifts”.
In 2013 Sr. Carole moved to Mount Augustine while she continued to volunteer at St. John West Shore Hospital until this was not possible due to health issues.
Sr. Carole was the only child of Francis and Eleanor but she enjoyed the love and companionship of many cousins and met with them on a regular basis to celebrate a meal together. She will be dearly missed by all who loved her.
The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine will miss Sr. Carole’s gentle presence and will always remember her devotion to pastoral care with a special love of the infants who died because of miscarriages at St. John West Shore Hospital. She cared for the bereaved parents and was especially devoted to making special burial arrangements for the remains. On a personal note, Sr. Carole also had a great love for animals, especially dogs.
Sister Lois Stricklin, formerly Sister M. Lawrence, died on July 31, 2016 at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. Sister was born in Cleveland, Ohio on August 28, 1928 to Clifford and Mary (Bennett) Stricklin. Sister was baptized at St. Clement Church in Lakewood, Ohio on September 16, 1928. On February 2, 1947, Sister entered the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine; she pronounced final vows on August 22, 1952.
In her early years in community, Sister Lois cared for children at St. Edward Home and assisted in Cottage 7 at Parmadale along with duties in the laundry. In 1952, Sister Lois went to the Motherhouse in Lakewood where she was assistant sacristan. It was in 1955 that she began what would be her ministry for many years as she became a student in the X-Ray department at Mercy Hospital. She then went on to become an X-ray technician at St. Vincent Charity Hospital. In 1960, at St. Ann Hospital in Cleveland, Sister was the supervisor in the X-ray department for a year and then continued working as a technician along with other duties such as telephone relief and sacristan. From 1970-1978, Sister Lois resided at St. John Hospital as she ministered at Saint Augustine Manor as a medical clerk. In 1978, while living at St. Augustine Convent, Sister went to work at Dr. Paul Fumich’s office as a receptionist until 1985.
Sister Lois then moved to Mount Augustine where she worked as a General Office Clerk in the Fiscal Services Department until 1996. For the next five years, Sister was a part-time driver until she retired in 2001.
Sister Lois was a Sister of Charity of St. Augustine for 69 years. She was loved for her gentle spirit and quiet sense of humor. Sister thoroughly enjoyed celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and had great fun coming to the dining room in her St. Patrick’s Day attire.
Sister was preceded in death by her parents, brother James, and sister Winifred. She will be deeply missed by her sisters, Alice Fumich, Judith McGunagle, and her nieces and nephews.
Sr. Eileen Keating, formerly Sister Michael Francis, died on May 26, 2016 at Mount Augustine. Sister was born in Cleveland, Ohio on January 13, 1938 to Francis P. and Elizabeth Marie (née McCann) Keating. Sister was baptized on February 6, 1938. She entered the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and pronounced final vows on August 22, 1964.
From 1960 to 1973, Sister Eileen taught first graders in the Catholic schools staffed by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine. Her ministry took her to Holy Family School in Stow, Ohio; Immaculate Heart of Mary and St. Joseph schools in Cuyahoga Falls, Parmadale, and Assumption School in Brookpark, Ohio.
In 1973, Sister Eileen became the full time principal of the C.C.D. program at Assumption Parish and ministered in this capacity until 1979.
It was in 1979 that Sister left teaching to become a Pastoral Minister and co-director of Religious Education at Holy Family Parish in Stow where she remained until 1987.
Sister began her training in Clinical Pastoral Education at St. Luke Hospital in Cleveland while working part-time as a Pastoral Chaplain at St. John Hospital. She completed her training in 1990.
Sister then began a ten year ministry at St. Martha Parish in Akron, Ohio where she served as Pastoral Minister.
In 2001 she was elected to the leadership team as a Councilor and served in that capacity until 2005. She then began a volunteer ministry at Rosary Hall at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center (SVCMC). She retired from SVCMC in 2008 and shortly after moved to Mount Augustine where she retired.
In September of 2016, Sister Eileen would have celebrated her 60th Jubilee. She served God’s children and God’s people with great humility and love over those years. She was deeply loved for her great Irish humor, her gentle spirit and for the lovely twinkle in her eyes.
She will be deeply missed by her sisters, Mary Ellen and Patricia, and her brothers, Jack, Tom, Francis, and James.
The wake for Sr. Eileen was held at Mt. Augustine, Richfield, Ohio on Friday, May 27. The funeral liturgy was celebrated Saturday, May 28, 2016 in the chapel at Mt. Augustine, and burial took place at Calvary Cemetery in Cleveland.
Sr. Patricia Gardner, formerly Sister Labouré, died on May 23, 2016 at Mount Augustine. Sister was born in New Castle, Pennsylvania on October 12, 1934 to William and Emma Gardner. Sister was baptized on November 4, 1934. She entered the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and pronounced final vows on August 22, 1957.
Sister began her ministry in the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine at the Motherhouse where she was the Supervisor in the Dietary Department and the Sister’s Dining Room. In 1956, Sister went to Parmadale where she served in the dietary department for the next two years. Over the next few years, Sister Patricia ministered in dietary departments at Mount Augustine, Timken Mercy Hospital, St. John Hospital, and DePaul Maternity and Infant Home. In 1959, she was missioned to be in charge of the dietary department at Providence Hospital where she served until 1964.
In 1964, Sister Patricia’s ministry took her once again to Parmadale, as a Supervisor in Cottage Three. She served in this capacity until 1969.
In April of 1969, while still at Parmadale Sister Patricia was granted permission to help her sister, Mrs. Martina McDonald, care for their brother’s orphaned children, a nephew and two nieces. Sister went home on week-ends to be of assistance in the care of the children. During the summer of 1969, Sisters’ role was reversed. She stayed at the family home on a full-time basis because of the family need while she spent weekends with her community members at St. Luke Convent. In January 1970 she began working in the business office at St. John Hospital while continuing to live at home.
In September of 1974, Sister transferred to Parmadale as assistant buyer. In October her sister died quite suddenly and plans had to be made for the care of the three children, ages 14, 16, and 17. Because of illness in the family, Sister Patricia was the only relative available to care for them. Sister continued to minister at Parmadale until 1975 and then became an office assistant for a physician at St. Vincent Charity Hospital. She remained with her nephew and niece until 1979.
In 1982, Sister Patricia began a new ministry at Mount Augustine in the Program Office and continued in that office as Program Director until 2006. Sister remained at Mount Augustine as Director of Volunteers from 2006 until 2008 at which time she retired.
Sister Patricia was a Sister of Charity of St. Augustine for 64 years and was noted for her gentle spirit and sweet disposition. She was loved by all who came to know her especially the children at Parmadale. She was preceded in death by her parents and a number of siblings. She leaves behind her nephew Joe and niece Patricia who cherished Sr. Patricia as their mother. She will also be missed by many grand nieces and nephews who sister considered her “grandbabies”.
The wake for Sr. Patricia was held at Mt. Augustine, Richfield, Ohio on Wednesday, May 25. The funeral liturgy was celebrated Thursday, May 26, 2016 at Mt. Augustine. Burial at Calvary Cemetery in Cleveland followed.
Sr. M. Pauline Panik, CSA, formerly Anna Theresa Panik, died Monday, February 8, 2016, in Richfield, Ohio at Mount Augustine. Sister was born in Cleveland, Ohio on July 24, 1926 to Stephen and Anna (née Cigleda) Panik. One of six children, she was baptized at St. Wendelin Church in Cleveland, Ohio. On February 2, 1945 entered the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine. She pronounced final vows on August 28, 1950.
In her early years Sr. Pauline used her skills in food service at various CSA ministries: St. Augustine Academy and the Dietary Departments at St. Edwards Home (Supervisor), St. Augustine Convent (Dept. Assistant), and St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. She used her talent as a seamstress at Mt. Augustine, Parmadale and St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. While at Parmadale, she was a housemother to the boys in the cottages to which she was assigned. In other areas of ministry, she served as housekeeper and cook at St. Joseph Convent, Cuyahoga Falls, and at St. Luke Convent, Lakewood. In 1972, Sr. Pauline assumed the position as receptionist in the Surgical Lounge at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center and remained in that position until her retirement in 1994. Following her retirement she did volunteer ministry at the Hospital until she moved to Mt. Augustine in 2001.
She was noted by many, for her hospitality to the families and patients at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. She never forgot anyone she met at the hospital, always asked about their families and prayed daily for them. She also took special care of her brother Tommy whom she visited regularly; she prayed with him on the phone each night. Sr. Pauline had special devotion to our Blessed Mother and prayed to her daily for the needs of many.
The wake for Sr. Pauline was held at Mt. Augustine, Richfield, Ohio on Wednesday, February 10. The funeral liturgy was Thursday, February 11 and burial at Calvary Cemetery in Cleveland followed.