Our ministry is grounded in the Lord Jesus who went forth announcing, living and spreading the good news of salvation and the coming of the Kingdom to all. This Kingdom, begun in and realized through Christ has been entrusted to us for its continuance and extension on earth.
Nourished by a long tradition of meeting the charitable needs of people, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine continues, renewed and recommitted to dedicate itself to works of health, education, and social services directing attention to those existing and emerging needs which are most critical.
As Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and Associates we have a mission and we have each other. Read on. Join us. Share your dreams for a better world.
CSA and community members supported the opening of a Catholic Worker House of Peace in 1997 to provide shelter for women and women with children in need. A second house, Casa Maria Jose, was opened in the spring 2000 for Spanish-speaking women and children. A home for men, Matthew 25 House, opened in the fall of 2000. Following the Catholic Worker Movement philosophy, volunteers and residents take full responsibility for the houses with no formal leadership.
Centering Space provides a place for individuals and small groups to gather in an environment conducive to prayerful listening. People who hunger for an awareness of God’s everyday presence or who seek God’s direction in a specific event or life choice as well as those who are looking for the prayerful support of community; are all invited to experience Centering Space. We welcome you to share this space, expecting to learn from the diversity of backgrounds, interests, gifts and desires that each will bring.
The Harry Donovan Jr. Valor Home – Akron, OH
The Harry Donovan Jr. Valor Home of Summit County is a transitional housing program for homeless male veterans. They help their residents through structured and engaging therapies such as art, music and life skills therapy on-site four days a week. Opened in 2013, The Harry Donovan Jr. Valor Home is a drug-free, alcohol-free, and smoke-free facility. Valor Home provides support services to residents both on-site and in the community. Each resident is assigned a support worker. Daily routine includes self-improvement activities, exercises in self-sufficiency and personal time.
Interfaith Wellness Ministry – Irvine, KY
Through an individual CSA ministry, the congregations of several local churches in this rural Appalachian community are linked in an effort to promote healthy lifestyles and the role of faith in healthy living. Established in 1997, the program offers educational and resource information, prevention tips, health-related support groups and one-to-one health counseling.
Joseph’s Home – Cleveland, OH
Ohio’s first transitional facility for recuperating homeless adult men, Joseph’s Home opened in May 2000, following $400,000 in building renovations. A HUD Supportive Housing Program Grant of $200,000 and matching funds from CSA St. Vincent Charity Ministries Corporation facilitated the renovation. Nine private rooms are available for homeless adults with temporary or chronic illnesses who were referred from social service agencies, shelters or healthcare facilities.
Residents participate in activities of daily living while recuperating, as well as in programs designed to foster self-esteem, life skills and ongoing recovery.
Light of Hearts Villa – Bedford
Light of Hearts Villas was established in 1989 by the Vincentian Sisters of Charity when they remodeled Lumen Cordium High School as an independent and assisting living residence for seniors. In 2001 they formed a 50/50 partnership with the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine as co-sponsors of the ministry. After the Vincentian Sisters of Charity merged with the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati, they continued the sponsorship with the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine.
Mercy Medical Center – Canton, Ohio
In 1908, Mercy Medical Center opened its doors in the former home of President William McKinley. The 18-bed hospital was established at the urging of Rosa Klorer who felt the need for a faith-based hospital in Canton, Ohio. Relocated several times for additional space, Mercy Medical Center opened in its current location in 1957. Mercy Medical Center’s mission remains the same as when it was founded more than 100 years ago: to continue Christ’s healing ministry by providing quality, compassionate, affordable and accessible care for the whole person.
Rainbow Peace Ministry – Cleveland, Ohio
Under the direction of Sr. Marietta Rohr, the Rainbow Peace Ministry was established in 2008. This ministry is dedicated to the well-being of the city of East Cleveland and its inhabitants through the unity of hearts in prayer.
Regina Health Center – Richfield, OH
Nestled on 375 acres of rural land and forests, Mt. Augustine, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA) Motherhouse, was built in 1957. It was originally designed for the formation of young sisters, care of the retired sisters and was the private home to the Sisters of Charity for many years. In 1971, the sisters opened their doors to the Richfield community and other organizations, offering them the use of meeting rooms where they could hold their religious, cultural and educational activities.
Responding to the needs of aging religious from other orders for extended nursing care, CSA undertook a $7.5 million renovation of the motherhouse. Completed in 1993, it established Regina Health Center, a 155-bed facility that provides a full range of geriatric services including assisted living, intermediate care and skilled nursing units to retired members of 22 religious congregations, diocesan clergy and lay men and women throughout northern Ohio.
Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton – Canton, Ohio
The Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton supports and furthers the mission and ministry of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine. The principal components of their ministry are health, education, and social services. The Foundation’s focus is on issues of social justice relating to the poor and underserved in the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland – Cleveland, Ohio
Rooted in faith, the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland works to improve the lives of the most in need with special attention to families, women and children living in poverty. With focus towards ending homelessness, reducing health and educatio n disparities and supporting enhanced cradle to career opportunities for families in Cleveland’s central neighborhood, the Sisters Charity Foundation of Cleveland has worked for over 18 years.
Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina – Columbia, SC
The Sisters of Charity Foundation is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. Since 1978, the Foundation has been addressing the root causes and effects of poverty in South Carolina strategically, using our own resources to reduce poverty through action, advocacy and leadership.
Sisters of Charity Health System – Cleveland, OH
The Sisters of Charity Health System was established in 1982 to serve as a parent corporation for the sponsored ministries of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine. Sisters of Charity Health System solely owns two hospitals, St. Vincent Charity Medical in Cleveland, Ohio, and Mercy Medical Center in Canton, Ohio. St. John Medical Center in Westlake, Ohio is co-owned by the Sisters of Charity Health System and University Hospitals of Cleveland as a part of a 50/50 partnership joint venture.
The Sisters of Charity Health System also oversees three foundations who sponsor community initiatives that address the consequences of poverty.
St. Mary Parish – Elyria, Ohio
St. Mary Parish is located in Elyria Ohio and is a part of the Diocese of Cleveland. In addition to the church, St. Mary has a grade school for children in kindergarten through eighth grade.
St. Vincent Charity Medical Center – Cleveland, Ohio
Founded in 1865 by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center is Cleveland Ohio’s faith based healthcare provider. As a teaching hospital, it is home to the renowned Spine and Orthopedic Institute, the Center for Bariatric Surgery as well as complete services in cardiovascular, emergency medicine, primary care, behavioral health, occupational health and addiction medicine in a setting that is as caring and comfortable as home.