Sisters and infants at St. Ann Hospital, circa 1912
The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine have served health, education and social service needs in the Diocese of Cleveland since 1851. Collections of the 19th and 20th century records include photographs and various newspaper clippings, board of trustee minutes, handwritten ledgers, and other printed material pertaining to hospitals, orphanages, schools, and other ministries served by the sisters.There are no medical, birth, or baptismal records in these collections. Please read these frequently asked questions to help in your search.Special Collections include that of Sr. M. Ignatia Gavin (1889-1966) and Sr. M. Henrietta Gorris (1902-1983).
Location and User Information:
The archival records are located at Mt. Augustine, the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity. Sr. Mary Denis Maher is the archivist. Archives can be accessed by appointment only. No material circulates, and some personnel information may be restricted. Photocopies can be made for $0.05 per page. Our archives are handicapped accessible.
The “Heritage Room” at Mt. Augustine contains many artifacts pertaining to the sisters and their many ministries. A booklet is available for those wishing to take a self-guided tour.
Sister Mary Denis Maher, CSA, Ph.D., Archivist
5232 Broadview Road
Richfield, Ohio 44286-9481
330-659-5100 (fax: 330-659-3899)
Please enjoy the following photo galleries highlighting some of our Sisters’ ministries. Additional photographs, as well as various printed materials related to these and other institutions, can be accessed by contacting Sr. Mary Denis Maher.