It was 1990 that a peace stance was developed and passed by the congregation. It read:
The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine declare that our properties at Mt. Augustine/Regina Health Center, 3122 West Boulevard, 1307 Middle Street on Sullivan’s Island in South Carolina, 14812 Lake Avenue, and 2224 Maplewood Road are established as peace sites.
The implications of the Peace Site Stance included declaring our properties to be used for peace and promotion of the spiritual and material welfare of people; renouncing the right to be defended by nuclear weapons; not using our properties for the production, transportation, storing, disposing of or supporting nuclear weapons in any way; and the commitment of the individual sisters to be peacemakers.